8/16/10

Random stuff and a recipe

Things have been hectic. The garden is producing all kinds of veggies these days and I've been trying my best to keep up with them. I've been canning and freezing whenever I can find a spare hour or two. We've had lots of house showings (no offers yet!) which means we have to keep the house clean – a real challenge with a two-year-old, a dog and piles of produce. But we're happy to have the traffic and are hoping (wishing? praying?) to get an offer soon. There were no showings tonight, so we relaxed and spent some time outside in the beautiful weather.
Walter found a frog living in our pond. He was really really really really excited to show me.
Pond frog
Our apples are just about ready to pick.
Apples
A man to man talk. I really wish this hadn't come out so blurry, but I love it anyway.
Man to man talk
Tonight's dinner.
Stroganoff
I know, it's not much to look at, but it was just the comfort food I needed tonight. My mom's (actually, Betty Crocker's) hamburger stroganoff. This was the first meal I ever cooked for Nate. Quite possibly why he fell in love with me. So, to conclude the longest post ever, my (slightly) healthier version of Betty's masterpiece:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 lb ground beef
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup light sour cream
2-3 cups cooked whole wheat egg noodles
Cook onion in butter until soft. Add ground beef and cook until crumbly. Add flour, salt, garlic, pepper and mushrooms. Lower heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add soup and boil for 10 minutes. Add sour cream and heat through. Serve over hot noodles.

No comments: