3/19/10

My husband is awesome

My sister and I have been trying to figure out how to wind a nice, neat, center-pull ball of yarn, without spending all kinds of money on equipment. Typical ball-winding requires a ball winder (duh) and a swift. The two of these things together can cost around $100. Not an outrageous amount, considering these are things we can share, but we like to do things on the cheap when we can. Lucky us – we were able to borrow a ball winder from our mom and Nate built us a swift! Yup, there’s the part where he’s awesome. He followed some plans that Kristin had found and, viola! A swift that helped turn this giant mass of wool:
Swift
into a neatly wound ball in just a few minutes.
Swift and ball winder
Thanks Nate! You’re the best! It’s so great to have a handy husband who supports my hobbies.

I’m planning to get this yarn on the needles soon. No mysteries this time. I’m going to give the Shalom Cardigan a try, with a few modifications – more buttons, maybe some sleeves. Something like what SouleMama did here. I don’t know how much knitting I’ll be doing over the summer. Playing in the sunshine will be my top priority. (Walter’s too!) But, with any luck, I’ll have a sweater by the time fall arrives.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Nate really is awesome. He did this without seeing the few skeins I tangled up without the swift. I can't imagine the fun THAT giant amount of yarn would have caused!

I can't wait to try it!

Barb Bredel said...

That is one BIG swift. If I ever crochet again, I'll have to borrow it.

Mom